Job Scope: Advise and work on an array of legal issues related to admiralty/maritime law, commercial law, contracts, disputes, sanctions and compliance issues. The position reports to the CEO of the Company. Some of the responsibilities include:
- Managing and advising on legal affairs of the company, which includes SNP [ship/ sale purchase contracts], charter party contracts and disputes, insurance claims/ disputes, vendor agreements, ship financing contracts/documents and other commercial matters.
- Provide sound legal advice to the various SNP, Operations, Chartering and Finance departments, and advice on general corporate structuring and commercial advisory for the company.
- Prepare, improve, and implement new procedures and guidance concerning compliance, risk mitigation and based on changes to international regulations, and new case law developments.
- Advice on international maritime and domestic law, statutory and regulatory matters including environmental, safety, labor, sanction laws and similar maritime issues.
- Instruct and liaise with external counsel in various international jurisdictions on current litigation matters.
- Develop company policy and position on legal matters by providing guidance on legal matters, including agreements, transactions, regulation, claims and litigation.
- Prepare and review service agreements in different jurisdictions and deal with tax exemption issues.
- Attend international conferences / seminars/ or meetings relevant to legal matters.
Skills & Qualifications:
- LLM in Admiralty/Maritime law with minimum five years’ legal experience working with external law firms and resolving disputes successfully.
- Past employment as an in-house legal counsel for a ship owning group is desired.
- Excellent command over verbal and written English communication skills.
- Extremely organized with strong multi-tasking, interpersonal and management skills.
- Strong negotiation Skills.
- Ability to work after office hours.
- Exceptional attention to detail, strong analytical and communication skills.
- Positive attitude. Curious mind. Passion for excellence. Self-disciplined.