Diize, a Dutch start-up, specializes in using digitalization to revolutionize the maritime ecosystem. Their forte lies in streamlining both on-board and onshore procedures for ship owners and charterers. A prime focus is directed towards optimizing ship-to-shore connectivity and identifying avenues for enhancement. By delivering accessible solutions like Always-on-Board, they enable clients to initiate immediate action, thus economizing time and directing attention to core priorities.
Diize maintains that our (AoB) system possesses the potential to benefit every vessel and Captain engaged in commercial trade between Ports, culminating in reduced administrative overhead and more streamlined Port Calls. This is especially pertinent for ships involved in short-sea shipping and frequent port visits.
Comprising a compact and youthful group, Diize boasts a team with an average age of 29. Driven by unwavering enthusiasm and strong motivation, each member is dedicated to delivering exceptional service while actively pushing the boundaries of convention.
This interview aims to illuminate the technology intricately developed by Diize, along with the unparalleled value propositions that set them apart from their rivals. Join us as we delve into the details!
- What is the idea behind your start-up?
Diize is a maritime technology company that develops applications & software solutions to improve the efficiency and sustainability of the maritime industry. Our flagship product, Always-on-Board, is a port call management system that helps shipping companies to automate their port calls by streamlining their pre-arrival paperwork with document automation, comply with port regulations, and reduce their environmental impact (through efficiency).
2. Could you describe the core products or services your start-up offers to the maritime industry?
Diize currently has two separate core products on the Market which are ‘Always-on-Board’ (AOB) and ‘Barge-Arrival-Services’ (BAS).
AOB is entirely maritime focused and used by Captains onboard the vessel.
BAS is focused towards Inland Shipping and will disrupt the sector by optimizing the operations of barges and terminal operators. (Launching September 2023).
3. What is your start-up’s mission and vision in the maritime industry?
Diize’s mission is to make the maritime industry smarter, more efficient, more compliant, and safer. Our vision is to be the leading provider of Port documentation automation in the maritime industry.
4. How does your start-up create and provide value to your maritime stakeholders?
Diize’s products and services create value for maritime stakeholders in a number of ways, including:
- Efficiency: help shipping companies to operate more efficiently, which can save them money and time.
- Compliance: help shipping companies to comply with Port & Terminal regulations, which can reduce the risk of fines and penalties.
- Sustainability: help shipping companies to reduce their environmental impact, decrease carbon emissions, which can help to protect the planet.
5. What specific problem or pain point does your start-up address in the maritime industry?
Diize addresses a number of specific problems and pain points in the maritime industry, including time-saving, error reduction, cargo delays, improved compliance, etc…. all of which play a part in the inefficiencies of Port congestion: AOB, which is our port call management system helps shipping companies to reduce the time they spend doing paperwork, which can help to reduce congestion, delays and emissions.
6. How does your company differentiate itself from competitors in the maritime industry?
Diize differentiates itself from competitors in the maritime industry in a number of ways, including:
- Our (online) cloud-based platform: Our products and services are delivered on a cloud-based platform, which makes them easy to use and scalable. We also have an ‘offline’ version for vessels with a poor internet connection.
- Our Award winning User-friendly interface: Our products and services have a user-friendly interface that makes them easy to use for both technical and non-technical users, and is highly rated by Captains.
- Our global reach: We have an experienced team of experts who are committed to providing our customers with the best possible service, and a global footprint when it comes to guaranteeing the correct (and accurate) Port documents and Pre-arrival forms for our clients.
7. How can your start-up contribute to a smarter maritime future?
Diize can contribute to a smarter maritime future by providing shipping companies with the tools they need to operate more efficiently and sustainably. Our products can help to reduce port congestion, cargo delays, and crew stress (by automating paperwork). This can lead to a more efficient and sustainable maritime industry that is better for the environment and the economy.
8. How can your start-up contribute to a cleaner and/ or safer maritime future?
Diize can contribute to a cleaner and safer maritime future by helping shipping companies to reduce their environmental impact. Our products can help to reduce fuel consumption, emissions, and waste. This can lead to a cleaner maritime environment that is better for the planet.
9. What is your start-up’s approach to sustainability and environmental responsibility in the maritime industry?
Diize is committed to sustainability and environmental responsibility. We believe that the maritime industry has a responsibility to protect the planet and its resources. Our products are also partly designed to help shipping companies reduce their environmental impact. We also work with our customers to develop sustainable shipping practices.
10. How do you anticipate the growth and potential of your start-up in the maritime industry in the coming years?
We anticipate significant growth and potential for our start-up in the maritime industry in the coming years. The maritime industry is facing a number of challenges, such as port congestion, cargo delays, and vessel accidents. Our products and services assist in alleviating these risks.
11. Can you share any success stories or notable achievements your start-up has had so far in the maritime industry?
Yes, we have had a number of success stories and notable achievements in the maritime industry so far. For example, we have helped a shipping company to reduce the time they spend in Port by 20%, which has saved them money and helped to reduce port congestion. We have also helped another Shipping company to reduce delays by 30%, which has improved customer & crew satisfaction. Additionally, we have helped a vessel owner to reduce fuel consumption by 10%, which has saved them money and reduced their environmental impact.
12. What are some of the main challenges your start-up has encountered in the maritime industry, and how have you overcome them?
One of the main challenges we have encountered is the traditional mindset of some maritime stakeholders. The maritime industry is a conservative industry, and some stakeholders are hesitant to adopt new technologies. We have overcome this challenge by building relationships with key stakeholders and demonstrating the value of our products and services.
Another challenge we have encountered is the lack of internet connectivity in the maritime industry. The maritime industry has constraints when it comes to internet connectivity, primarily with bandwidth and data, which makes it difficult to develop and deploy innovative solutions. We have overcome this challenge by partnering with data providers and developing our own optimized solutions & tools to reduce the need of being always connected.
13. What are your long-term goals and vision for your start-up within the maritime industry?
Our long-term goals and vision for our start-up within the maritime industry are to:
- Be the leading provider of Port Document & Pre-Arrival paperwork automation solutions for the maritime industry.
- Help to make the maritime industry smarter, cleaner, and safer.
- Make a positive impact on the environment and the economy.
14. Why did you apply to be a Rising Stars and what do you expect of the Rising Stars Pavilion and Europort?
We applied to be a ‘Rising Stars’ because we believe that it is a great opportunity to showcase our products to the maritime industry. We are also excited to learn from other start-ups and to network with potential customers and partners. We expect the Rising Stars Pavilion and Europort to be a great event, and we are looking forward to participating.